Monday, February 11, 2008

Photographer of the Week Alain Etchepare

Today I want to share, what I consider, a moving genre that I call "Chilling Landscapes" by the photographer Alain Etchepare. Alain was born on the Basque coast in Biarritz the south west of France. A former PR agency owner, he was always drawn to photography even more so to the printing process of Black and White. His work to me is chilling, almost haunting, but striking and worth sharing and if possible; collecting.

His photography has stunning tonal values and amazing composition. You can feel the darkness in his images. When you see his work you can tell that he grew up on a coastal town. His dramatic images of coastlines grab me the hardest. I too come from a coastal town and I have learned that the sea has a strange way of capturing your soul.

His, I believe, has been captured too.

On my favorite images Alain has captured is “The Watcher” (shown above) the shot is Kerpe, Turkey just this year. The glassiness of the water, matched by the cloudy sky and broken by the sloping cliff is striking. The two small islands dot across the glassy water - crossing mid frame almost reaching out to the edge of the cliff, a small hole in the ridge ties the whole image together. I find this to be one of his best captures, and he has so many.

You can see more of his work at his site, where you may also purchase limited edition prints of his work. I hope that you have enjoyed this segment,each week I will search out a new photographer and share a bit of knowledge about them and some of their work for you to enjoy.


By Robert DiMarco
Knight Digital Photography

No comments: